Volunteer in Israel Mission FAQ
What are the qualifications to volunteer?
- Must be age 18 or older. For teen volunteer missions, participants must be 15 or older.
- Must be physically and psychologically able to perform the tasks required for 4-6 hours per day.
- You will be required to attend a pre-departure orientation call. Anyone who does not attend this will not be able to join the program.
How is the program ensuring the safety and security of participants?
- You will be accompanied by a staff member, security guard (also a first aid responder) and a bus driver.
- If the security situation changes during the trip, we will make changes to the itinerary or program as necessary.
- Our team will be in constant contact with the Ministry of Health, Ministry of Tourism, and defense agencies to monitor the situation and make changes as needed.
Do I need to speak Hebrew?
No, you do not need to speak Hebrew. You will be accompanied by bilingual staff who can assist with translation or communication as needed.
What's included in the program?
- Transportation on the ground in Israel. Including group transfers to and from Ben Gurion airport.
- Accommodations with safe room or shelter in the building.
- 3 Kosher meals per day.
- Staff and security
- Organized volunteering and activities: placements are approximately 4-6 hours a day and can include agricultural work such as picking fruit and vegetables on farms and sorting and packaging supplies for displaces families, individuals, and soldiers.
- The deposit is non-refundable and will be used to cover any fees incurred in the event of a late cancellation.
What is the registration process?
Once you register through the website you will receive a confirmation email (please be sure to reach out if you do not receive it). You will also receive a separate email via DocuSign with a waiver to sign. This email is sent manually and usually sent within 24 hours of registering. If you register over the weekend you will receive it on the Monday following. Once you sign your waiver you are considered officially on the trip and can book your flights. You will not receive official confirmation beyond this.
What happens if Jewish National Fund-USA cancels the trip?
In the event that the security situation changes and we must cancel the trip, we will let participants know as soon as possible and provide full refunds for any payments made. We will communicate alternative dates for future participation.
Are there any visa or passport requirements?
- Passport must be valid for at least six months after your return to the United States.
- No visa is required, you will receive a 3 month tourist visa upon arrival to Israel.
- If you are an Israeli passport holder, please check your army exemption status before arriving in the country.
What about flight arrangements?
- You are responsible for booking your flights.
- Any changes or cancellations must be dealt with directly with the airlines.
- El Al is the only carrier currently flying to Israel. Please ensure that you book your flight into and out of Israel with El Al. Other airlines are selling tickets and then cancelling their flights.
- We STRONGLY recommend purchasing travel insurance to deal with any cancellations due to the airline or the security situation.
- If you would like assistance in booking flights, please contact Rebecca Craft at Traveland, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do I need health insurance?
Please check with your health insurance provider to ensure that you have international coverage in Israel.
Do I need a cellphone in Israel?
Yes. You must have a cellphone with data that can receive and make local calls in Israel. Most providers offer a travel plan that does not require a new SIM card or device. Please check to see what options are available to you. We cannot guarantee that free WIFI will be available in all of the volunteer locations.
What kind of accommodations will the group receive?
You will be staying at four star or above accommodations that we ensure are safe and clean. You must stay in the group accommodation for the duration of the trip.
If you register by yourself, you will be placed in a single occupancy room. The price remains the same per person for single or double occupancy.
What about free time or meals?
We will organize all meals and programming during the day. We do not take responsibility for your arrangements during any free time.